Sunday, June 10, 2012

Rhubarb!

My wonderful father-in-law gave me a few rhubarb plants about 3 years ago.  It takes them a few years to get established and really start growing, so I have been patiently waiting. And waiting.  Last year I had some nice plants coming up, then we got a hail storm in May that pummeled my poor rhubarb patch.  But this year, at last, a harvestable (is that a real word?) amount of rhubarb!  

So, I set out to see just what wonderful things I could do with it.  I made a batch of old-fashioned rhubarb muffins. muffin recipe here They're lovely.  And, nobody else likes them too much, so I actually get to eat them.




  I also made a batch of rhubarb bars.  They're much like a fruit crisp, but the crusty part is more like an oatmeal cookie so you can eat it on the go.  This is a recipe I got from a friend who said that they never hang out long at her house.  Guess what.  They don't hang out long at my house either.  The whole 9 x 13 pan was gone in less than 24 hours.  The kids loved them.  I loved them.  I think Matt would have loved them too, had he been a little quicker to get to the pan. I'll have to make them again. Soon. I did some googling and found the recipe online to share with my adoring public.  rhubarb crunch recipe here





Next on my rhubarb spree is to try rhubarb jelly.  It is supposed to be pretty and red and all around wonderful.  I know that all two of my readers will be staying up nights to hear how it turns out.  Never fear.  I will let you know as soon as the verdict is in.



No comments:

Post a Comment