Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Rhubarb: The Sequel

I am finally getting around to posting about the sparkling rhubarb jelly that I promised to make a few weeks ago.  I did make it.  It is neither red, nor sparkly.  All around, it reminds me of pink lemonade.  Its about the same color as pink lemonade and kind of sweet and puckery at the same time, like pink lemonade.  

The recipe book said that it would be red and sparkly.  Like I said, it is pink, not red.  I'm sure due to the variety of rhubarb I used.  If you want a darker color jelly, you'd need to get your hands on some really red rhubarb (say that five times fast).  It is also not sparkly.  I made this twice and took care not to squeeze the jelly cloth (which puts little bits of fruit solids in the juice, resulting in cloudy jelly) and both times it turned out cloudy.  

Its still pretty though.  And it tastes pretty good on a crunchy English muffin.  I think its something I'd make again next year, if only because its unique and will make a good gift.
Sparkling Rhubarb Jelly


1 comment:

  1. Looks pretty! It has been YEARS since I've made rhubarb jelly. I've been meaning to do sauce. One of these days. My to-do list is entirely overwhelming lately, and growing by the day. :)

    ReplyDelete