Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Two words: caramelized peaches

Peaches are in season now and are just about the cheapest fruit at my local grocery store.  We've been eating a LOT of fresh peaches.  I think the kids might be getting tired of them, since the same 3 peaches have been rolling around in the fruit bin for close to a week.  They were no longer what I'd call picture perfect.  You know the ones I'm talking about.  They're kinda squishy on one side, maybe the skin has a few nicks in it, nobody wants to eat those.  But, I didn't want to throw out what was over a pound of peaches either.  

Since we were having a breakfast-y kind of supper, I decided to cook them on the stove with a little butter, brown sugar and some of that handy dandy pie spice that I so entertainingly wrote about in my last post.  They made a lovely side dish along side my turkey hash and some whole wheat toast.
cut any bruised parts off and roughly slice peaches into a pan with about 2 tbsp. melting butter.  Add  a scant 1/4 c. brown sugar and  1/2 tsp. pie spice.

Stir it up a bit and you get this golden deliciousness.  Let it simmer for a few minutes till peaches are soft and sauce is thickened up a bit.

Put it on a plate with whatever random main dish you are trying to convince your family is going to be "really good", in this case, turkey hash.
The peaches were a hit. Natalie raved about how yummy they were and while Joey didn't say they were good, he did eat them and did not proclaim them to be "yucky" or "ascustin" (disgusting).


 The turkey hash received mixed reviews though.  I thought it was pretty good, Matt and Natalie said it was ok, good for something different (even though Matt was skeptical about my using "that old turkey" from the freezer).  Joey wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.  He did however eat his toast and peaches so he didn't go to bed on an empty stomach.  Not sure about this hash recipe.  Maybe I should have put a nice soft fried egg over the top? I saw that on "Chopped" the other day.

**This fancy peach dish can also be made with apples.  I learned to make it with apples from my friend's eccentric landlady. We eat lots of it in the fall when apples are abundant.  This is the first time I have made it with peaches, but it won't be the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment