Monday, July 16, 2012

This is what happens when Mom gets bored

I can't tell you the last time I was bored.  I also haven't been home for 9 of 10 days since I was on maternity leave.  So, this is what happens.  When there's a break in the action of having a kid laying on me, I clean, organize, generally get the house in order.  The thing is, that's all been done.  The animals are all fed and watered. The garden is weeded, fertilized and the corn hilled.  The kids are napping. Thank the Lord in heaven for that! But I now find myself prowling around the house for a project.  

I noticed a few days ago that my trusty jar of Savory Herb Rub was just about empty.  Today seemed like the perfect time to mix up a fresh batch and refill the jar.  And, as long as I had the contents of the spice cabinet on the counter, refill the rest of my trusty seasoning blends.  

Over the years, I have gotten my hot little hands on several homemade seasoning recipes.  I really like these because I can mix up a big jar of it and keep in the cupboard and not be in the middle of cooking supper and realize that I'm out of taco seasoning or onion soup mix.  These seasonings are cheaper than store blends and have no mystery ingredients.  They are also gluten and MSG free.  Nobody in my house has any food allergies, but occasionally we have guests who do, or I bring potluck dishes to work or church and I just feel like I should be careful of those things.  (Nobody wants to be the person who brought the dish that sent someone to the emergency room).  All these seasonings are made with plain old grocery store spices or, if you live near a fleet supply store, they also carry them for around $1 each.

The lineup: Savory Herb Rub, Pie Spice, Onion Soup mix, Taco Seasoning, Chili Seasoning
In case anybody else is bored and wants to make these mixes, here are the recipes.

Savory Herb Rub (courtesy of my friend Janice S.)
¼ C. Dried Marjoram
¼ C. Dried Basil
2T. + 2t. Dried Thyme
2T. + 2t. Garlic powder
1T+1t. Dried Rosemary
1T. Dried Oregano

Combine and store in airtight container. Use to season beef, pork or venison.
Makes 1 cup.

Dry Onion Soup Mix:(courtesy of Self-Reliance by Jamie via Pinterest)
2/3 cup dried, minced onion
3 teaspoons parsley flakes
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
Mix all ingredients in a jar, then give the jar a good shake.  I’d recommend shaking the jar to mix the ingredients well before each use. 
Use 4 tablespoons in a recipe in place of 1 packet of onion soup mix.  Store this in a dry, cool place. 


Taco Seasoning:(Also courtesy of Self-Reliance by Jamie via Pinterest)
1/2 cup chili powder

1/4 cup onion powder
1/8 cup ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon sea salt


Put ingredients into a jar and shake.  Use 3 Tbsp. in place of 1 packet.

Pie Spice: (courtesy of Katie Brown)
2 T. cinnamon
1 T. ginger
1 t. cloves
1 t. nutmeg
1 t. allspice
Mix together and store in a cool dry place.  I use this in place of plain cinnamon in most dishes.

Chili Spice Mix: (also courtesy of Katie Brown)
3 T. chili powder
2 T. paprika
1 T. cumin powder
1 T. dried oregano
2 T. garlic salt
1 T. ground black pepper
1 T. crushed red pepper flakes*
1 T. ancho chili powder*
Mix all together and store in a cool dry place.  Use in place of packets or individual spices in chili recipes. 

*The red pepper flakes and ancho chili powder are my own additions.  I like the flavor and happen to have a stockpile of ancho powder from when my dad went to Mexico.  This seems like a good way to use it, but these ingredients are totally optional.

If you happen to notice in the picture, all the jars have plastic caps on them.  These are the lids from Parmesan cheese containers.  Another fantastic idea I got from Pinterest. 

And that's what happens when this mom gets bored.  



No comments:

Post a Comment