Sunday, May 20, 2012

I can't help it, I love baskets.

Confession.  I'm kind of addicted to organizing things.  In my defense I live in a pretty small house (864 square feet to be exact).  There are four people who live here.  Things need to be organized or chaos would reign.  I live by the motto a "place for everything and everything in its place".    That means that I have a lot of baskets, buckets and bins to hold all our stuff.  


As you might imagine, an 864 square foot house doesn't come with a lot of closets/cupboards/drawers.  So, we have shelves and baskets.  Every room has at least one basket to corral something.  In the kitchen, which is the main entrance to our house, there are two baskets.  One is for hats & mittens in the winter and sunglasses & bug spray/sunscreen in the summer and the other is for potholders. The living room has a small basket by the tv for remotes.  The bathroom has a small galvanized pail for toothbrushes and one for the kids brushes and combs.  The list goes on, but I don't want to make this too painfully boring to read.


I like baskets.  Baskets are pretty.  They're rustic and fit in with my whole eclectic/country/cottage thing pretty well.  By the way, eclectic/country/cottage are all nice words for a tiny house with mismatched furnishings.  Baskets take my jumbled messes and make them look tidy and like they're just part of the decor. 


I have recently been made aware that the cleanliness and organization of my house grate on some people that come over.  I went shopping with a friend earlier this week and picked up a new basket to replace one that no longer served the purpose since I had a coupon to use.  This is when I found out that my use of baskets annoys her.  Bummer.  I'm pretty sure that friend won't stop coming over though.  She likes my cooking too much.  Besides that, she has a birthday coming up and she may just get a basket full of organizing supplies and re-usable shopping bags from me.  I can't help it.  Its my inner Bree Van De Camp coming out.  One may want to be careful of telling me that my house makes them feel like they're at a Bed Bath & Beyond.  I'll take it as a compliment and help you make your house feel like that too. (Insert maniacal laugh here).

No comments:

Post a Comment