Friday, October 17, 2014

Marriage and Mayonnaise Cake


Yesterday was our 15th wedding anniversary.  It was a beautiful day.  One of the rare warm October 16th's we've seen. Matt had to work, but the kids and I were home.  It is fall break for them this week.  I took yesterday off, Matt took today off to be with them.

Our wedding anniversary hasn't been much of a to-do in quite some time.  It is generally quiet and just a simple exchange of cards and maybe a little hike or other explorations with the kids on the weekend after. That's pretty much how we roll.  Not a lot of fanfare.  Maybe someday we'll go on an exotic vacation.  Like the water park in Brainerd.  Maybe we'll just stay around home and walk in the woods forever too.  Either way is fine with me.  I kind of like the idea of the woods.  There are no bathing suits required to walk in the woods ;)

This year was much the same, but since I had the day off, I figured we should have a cake to celebrate.  We had just been talking about this cake his mother used to make.  The recipe came from his grandma's friend named Mrs. Renallo (I'm pretty sure I spelled that wrong) and was in their church cookbook.  I've always called it Grandma Brix's chocolate cake, because I got the recipe from her.  Anyway, it's a deep dark chocolate cake made with mayonnaise and topped with vanilla frosting.  It's one of those cakes that requires a glass of milk.   I'll share the recipe.  Everyone should have this.  It's a public service really.
A not so super great picture of a super great cake.
You get the idea though.

Grandma Brix's Chocolate Cake

4 cups flour
2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoons baking soda
2 Tablespoons cocoa
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise or miracle whip
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups water

Heat oven to 350 degrees

Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.  Blend well.  Pour in a greased  9 x 13 pan.  Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  (I usually have to bake this a while longer than 40 minutes in my oven.  Maybe it's my oven, maybe the recipe needs adjusting.  Not sure.)

Top with vanilla frosting.

That's it.  It's pretty simple and straightforward.  I like that there's no scalding of milk or melting of chocolate involved.  

Make this for the one you love.  You'll be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment