Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Indian Relish

Every year, my office holds an online auction with proceeds going to our local United Way.  We all donate things to go up for bids.  One of the ladies in the billing department makes a fabulous salsa type relish called Indian Relish.  I had not tried it before, but thought it looked yummy.  Naturally, I did not win that item in the auction.  But, she was kind enough to sell me a jar.  Then she gave me the recipe.  

Before I bought the ingredients to make it, I decided I had better give it a whirl.  Our birthday potluck at work seemed like the perfect place to test it out.  It was a winner!  It reminds me of the Pepper & Onion relish from Harry & David we had at my mom's a few years ago.  I have made two double batches now.  This recipe is not a secret, so I thought I'd share it with you.

Indian Relish (or Pepper & Onion Relish if you prefer)

4 red bell peppers, or a combination of red, yellow and orange
2 large sweet onions
2 cups white sugar
2 cups white wine vinegar
4 Tablespoons red pepper flakes (more or less depending on how hot you want it)
2 Tablespoons powdered pectin (if needed)

Finely chop the onions and peppers.  Put all the ingredients, except the pectin, in a big pot and boil.  Once it comes up to a boil, reduce the heat and then just let it simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.  If the liquid looks like its thickening up, just let it cook for 5 more minutes then put in jars.  If it is not getting thicker, then add the pectin and let it cook the last 5 minutes.  

Pour into hot jars.  Process in water bath for 15 minutes.

Makes 5 half pint jars, plus a generous sample for taste testing.

To serve, whip an 8 oz. pkg cream cheese and mix the relish in, or simply pour over the block of cream cheese and serve with crackers or corn chips.  
Isn't that pretty?
Be prepared for people to think you are a culinary genius.  When they ask how you ever made this wonderful dip, act mysterious.  Say its really complicated.  They'll be impressed.  Nobody needs to know that you dumped a jar of tasty relish into a tub of cream cheese.  Oh, and serve it in a pretty bowl.  That'll throw them off ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment